TOTAL HOURS REQUIRED FOR YEARLY CREDIT:
FRESHMAN AND SOPHOMORES = 20 HOURS
JUNIORS AND SENIORS = 30 HOURS
A minimum of 15 hours of the total 20 hours for Freshman and Sophomores (20 hours of the total 30 hours for Juniors and Seniors) required within the Catholic Outreach program must meet the Corporal Works of Mercy. This is defined as the physically or economically challenged within an established organization that is recognized or approved by the Catholic Outreach coordinator.
A remainder of 5 hours for Freshman and Sophomores (10 hours for Juniors and Seniors) required within the Catholic Outreach program may be NON - Corporal works of mercy performed by assisting a school or local community (basic volunteer activity).
* Students may not apply extra hours from one year to the next.
Students are required to perform Corporal Works of Mercy for the less fortunate as part of the mission of Saint Thomas Aquinas High School “to be responsible citizens guided by Catholic values”.
- Must be at least 20 of the 30 required hours for Juniors/Seniors
- Must be at least 15 of the 20 required hours for Freshman/Sophomores
The Corporal Works of Mercy are to:
- Feed the hungry
- Visit the sick
- Give drink to the thirsty
- Visit those in prison
- Clothe the naked
- Bury the dead
- Shelter the homeless
Beginning with the class of 2011 the Catholic Outreach commitment is a yearly credit requirement. A total of 30 hours per year will be required for a ¼ credit required to graduate for juniors and seniors (20 hours for freshman and sophomores).
Stewardship that Supports Community Involvement - these are some examples of NON-Corporal works of mercy.
- Parish Programs such as festivals, vacation Bible school (general), work for school grounds (Non Title I schools)
- Recreation programs or summer camps
- School sponsored events (i.e. Extravaganza, Open House)
- School sponsored camps run by Saint Thomas Aquinas coaches
- May be used towards maximum of (5) of required (20) hours.
(Juniors and Seniors – 10 of required 30 hours).