ANYONE INTERESTED IN BOYS GOLF - WE BEGIN WITH A
MANDATORY PLAYER MEETING BEFORE TRYOUT WEEK - FEB. 24 - ROOM 102 - 3:10PM.
PRACTICE INFORMATION & EXPECTATIONS FOR PLAYERS
· The S.T.A. golf team will have 14 members. Separate information for tryout procedures is attached. Each will be provided with a team shirt, a golf bag (while in season), and range balls periodically throughout the season. You are responsible for all transportation to practices and most tournaments in town. I MUST HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM ANYONE RIDING TO PRACTICE WITH ANOTHER PLAYER FROM BOTH PARENTS (PARENT OF DRIVER AND PASSENGER).
· YOU MUST HAVE A PHYSICAL ON FILE WITH S.T.A. BEFORE PRACTICING.
· Students are expected to be on time. Any student who misses practice without prior notification and approval of the coach will miss the next meet. Repeat offenders may be dismissed from the team.
· Practices consist of driving range, chipping and putting drills (“short practice”), and/or 9 holes (depending on availability). Practices usually start immediately after school and end between 5:30 and 6:00. Sometimes we can go later if our tee times are late.
· We will qualify for our tournaments weekly. A continuous QUALIFYING average will be kept based on designated qualifying rounds, short game drills and/or tournament scores. Tournaments that are 18 holes will be broken into two 9 hole scores. Tournament players will be picked from the player’s 9 hole average before each tournament. The coach reserves the right to choose players based on attitude, work ethic, and the latest qualifying round or playoff if needed.
· All players are expected to be a credit to STA. Any player caught intentionally cheating will be suspended and may be dismissed from the team. You’re expected to act with excellent character on and off the course.
· No Profanity, no throwing clubs, all players are expected to deal with a poor shot or defeat in a mature manner. All players are expected to be a credit to STA. Wear the appropriate attire for practice and all meets. Do not wear jeans. If shorts are worn please make sure they are “golf” shorts. Wear a shirt with a collar and tuck it in. We are guests on many of these courses and we need to abide by their dress code.
· I will attempt to give each team member the following week’s practice schedule every Friday. As always, this can be subject to last minute changes.
· Plan on practicing every day unless a school-wide announcement is made or you personally hear from Coach Best or Coach Smith.
· Hazing is NOT appropriate at any time and will not be tolerated as part of the Saint Thomas Aquinas Golf program. Serious punishment or dismissal from the team could result from any offender.
· YOU MUST HAVE A PHYSICAL ON FILE IN THE ATHLETIC OFFICE AND THE TRYOUT FEE ($65.00) PAID BEFORE TRYOUTS BEGIN.
KNOW YOUR RULES ~ BUY A COPY OF THE USGA RULES BOOK.
A RULES TEST MAY BE REQUIRED BEFORE TRYOUTS BEGIN
If you have any questions be sure contact me anytime! COACH BEST