Service & Outreach
Our mission as disciples is to reach out to all people in love and to assist those in need.
Catholic Service Program
The focus of our Catholic Service program is to encourage students to emulate the actions of Jesus; showing compassion and empathy in order to relieve the burdens of others.
All students at Saint Thomas Aquinas are required to participate in the Community Service Program.
Students are required to perform Works of Mercy (Corporal and Spiritual) for the less fortunate. Students can complete all of their hours as Works of Mercy, but are allowed “Other” hours.
Non Works of Mercy hours would be other volunteer organizations like volunteering at youth camps, volunteering with Extravaganza, etc.
Service Hour Due Dates
First semester deadline is December 1
Second semester deadline is May 1
Students will receive a grade for completion of their service hours each semester in their Theology class. The service hour completion will make up 10% of the student’s total semester grade. Hours must be submitted to X2VOL by the deadline to earn their points.
Students who do not enter their hours by the deadline will earn a zero for the grade.
- Students may serve with several different agencies to complete the required hours.
- The service may not be given to a relative; this is considered a family responsibility.
- A parent MAY NOT be the supervisor of service. The supervisor should be at the organization.
- Students are expected to serve outside of school hours, after the dismissal of the school day.
- Exceptions to the “outside of school service policy” are: DC March for Life, Junior Serve Day, Topeka March for Life.
- The student may not receive payment for services. It must be done on a volunteer basis.
- Information and service opportunities are listed below and on the x2VOL Dashboard.
- Please note: We will no longer accept hours for managing athletic teams. Athletic managers are a vital part of every team. The role of a manager is that of a team member; managing is not considered service
Presidential Service Award
- Freshman completing 50 hours of service during their freshman year will qualify for the Presidential Service Award.
- Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors need to complete 100 hours of service to qualify for the Presidential Service Award.
Corporal Works of Mercy
To feed the hungry;
To give drink to the thirsty;
To clothe the naked;
To shelter the homeless;
To visit the sick;
To visit the imprisoned;
To bury the dead.
Spiritual Works of Mercy
Counsel the doubtful
Instruct the ignorant
Comfort the afflicted
Bear wrongs patiently
Pray for the living and the dead
|Organizations||Service Type||Phone||Email or Website|
|Hillcrest Transitional Housing||Thrift Storeemail@example.com|
|Goodwill Donation Center||Donation Center||816-985-3371||http://www.mokangoodwill.org/volunteer|
|Blessings Abound||Thrift Store||913-648-0700||www.blessingsaboundkc.org.|
|Advice & Aid||Babysittingfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Villa St. Francis||Assisted Living||913-829-5201||www.volunteermark.com/villa-st-francis|
|Heart to Heart||Food Distribution||913-764-5200||http://www.hearttoheart.org/volunteer/|
|Shawnee Heartland||Assisted Living||913-248-6600||https://shawneeheartlandalf.com|
|Santa Marta||Assisted Living||906-0990||http://www.santamartaretirement.com|
|Youth Volunteer Corp||Helping youth||913-432-9822||http://www.yvckc.org|
|The Mission Project||Helping adults with developmental email@example.com|
|Operation Breakthrough||Helping youth||(816) 329-5233||http://operationbreakthrough.org|
|North Care Hospice||Helping the sick||816-276-2640||https://www.kchospice.org/volunteer/|
|Wyandotte Pregnancy Clinic||Healthcare||913-287-8287|
|Project Uplift||Distribution Center - Help homeless||816-241-0060||http://www.uplift.org/volunteer/|
|St. Mary's Food Kitchen||Food Distribution||913-281-5633|
|City Union Mission||Thrift Store||816-329-1459||https://cityunionmission.org/how-you-can-help/|
|Ronald McDonald House||Helping families with sick kids||816-842-8321||https://www.rmhckc.org/how-you-can-help/volunteer/|
|Community LINC||Helping families in need||816-531-3727||http://www.communitylinc.org/volunteer.html|
|Shalom House||Helping adults||913-321-2206||https://catholiccharitiesks.org/where-we-work/shalom-house/|
|The Upper Room||Helping kids' literacy||816-363-3819||http://www.upperroomprogram.org|
|Angels of Grace||Helping kids||(913) 233-2944||http://childcarecenter.us/provider_detail/
|Project Cure||Health Care Distribution Centerfirstname.lastname@example.org www.projecture.org|
|Prince of Peace||829-1147|